Pocket Kingdoms - Tiny, Charming and Hard on my Brain


Pocket Kingdom

It seems that even though I am bad at them it seems I can't stop playing puzzle games. Pocket Kingdom is a colorful 2D pixel styled puzzle game with load of charm and some real brain burning puzzles in it. In the game you have crashed on a floating island and the only way off is to work your way through it and the odd rules that govern it. 


The game is made up of around 100 screens or which most have puzzles in them. The most typical is block pushing/pulling sokoban style that I am really bad at. Often I am just over thinking it or forgetting one of the game mechanics. In addition to moving or destroying blocks there are lasers, gravity swapping platforms and a few other elements that keep each single screen puzzle fresh. As someone who trips up easy on puzzles like these I was glad that some had (or it seemed to me) have multiple solutions and I could just brute force my through by trying everything rather than just being stuck forever.



I really like what the developer did with Pocket Kingdoms. From the colorful style to the chill chip-tune soundtrack it was a pleasure to look at and listen to. The NPC characters don't have a lot to say but each is odd and often strangely funny. The game has a number of references to other games both quietly and overtly. 



Pocket Kingdom is a little hard to talk about in depth as it's a puzzle game and gaffing out solutions is lame. In addition the rest of the game that isn't puzzles involves exploration with some light story elements/mythology of the Pocket Kingdom and is best experienced spoiler free. 



It took me about 9 hours to get off of the Pocket Kingdoms (that is to say I have seen the ending but the game is not complete) and I am sure a smarter person could do it much faster. That is not to say I am done either. There are still 10 or so screens in the game that I haven't figured out how to get yet.



If you enjoy puzzles games and are looking for something a little different with a lot of charm, for around 5-bucks you cannot lose by picking up Pocket Kingdoms. 

(I am also looking forwards to 08 Games next project 5734L3R.)

Comments