Gebub's Adventure

I really like small indie game that is well made, fun to play and keeps it simple. Gebub's Adventure is these things. It was released last August, funded by a small kickstarter and brought to my attention from the fine folks over at Rock, Paper, Shotgun. And boy am I glad they did.

Gebub's Adventure is a puzzle platformer game. You navigate around the 2D side-scrolling world as Gebub (I'm not sure what he is) and the jumping feels good. It's got hang time at the top of the jump giving you a nice bit of air control - none of the jumps require super precision - so it's nice to hop around as you want. You also climb vines and ladders, take an elevator and swim too. There is no fail state - you can't die or even be hurt. Gebub's world is a peaceful world.

The graphics have this charming super simple style - also MSpaint - but with a little extra detail. It works for the variety of environments you'll visit. By the end of the game I was actually surprised how big the world was for such a small game. And you won't be alone - little local critters both fill out the world visually and sometimes for game play. 

Gebub's Adventure is a short satisfying 2 hour adventure. I don't really want to say to much more about it because most of the game is about finding out things for yourself. Even just picking screenshots (I've used ones from the Steam store as it wouldn't let me take any in game) was tough to find non-spoiler examples. It's $5 and absolutely worth it.

Comments