Miniature - I Do Like Me Some Tiny Vignettes



I Do Like Me Some Tiny Vignettes

Miniature

Relax and enjoy some tiny photography, that's what Miniature is all about. So very casual some could say that it stretches to even be called a game, Miniature is almost meditative.



I stumbled onto the game in development and instantly it had my interest piqued with it's aesthetics. Small scenes, arranged on a plinth, detailed and minimal at the same time. I had no idea what the game play was or anything else - just that I wanted to check it out.



Miniature is mechanically simple - 12 stories each broken down into 5 photos. You sort through the photos and put them in the correct order to tell the story. Sometimes you get it on the first go sometimes it takes a few passes. I should clarify when I say photos - they are presented like a photo but it's actually a still scene where you control the camera (height, rotation and zoom) as well as focus with your mouse pointer. Each scene is nicely lit and full of tiny details. Once you complete the story it runs through the sequence of "photos" you've set up and moves you on to the next story.



If you want to you could burn through the whole game in less than an hour easy and the steam review score of "mostly negative" seems to emphasize this. But it's not that type of game - I have only played 9 of the 12 stories myself and keep Miniature as a chill little activity that I can go back to anytime. Possibly more art than game I really like it.

(Quick note - as of this post, April 2, Miniature is a $1.50 on steam on sale.)






Comments