Gorogoa - Four Very Special Squares


GOROGOA

This is not the last game I thought I would be writing about this year. Like always I am hip deep in half a dozen other games and thought for sure one of them was going to be wrapped up over Christmas. But then Gorogoa came out.

I first played a concept demo for Gorogoa about 4 or 5 years ago and to say I was intrigued would be quite the understatement.  In the 10 minutes or so that it took to play through the offered puzzles I was blown away(TM). I wanted more. So along with everyone else who enjoyed the demo we waited. And waited. It turns out it takes a long time for one person to make a game, especially one as carefully put together at this. Finally it was released.

Gorogoa is a puzzle game where you manipulate images in a four-panel space, zooming in and out, dragging, turning, selecting, disassembling, matching, discovering. Each interaction feels unique to the image in question. The results of any engagement range from getting a desired effect to a surprise that opens up more wondrous things to see. "Oh My" and "Wow" were words consistently on my lips as I played.



It's not a long game, and while I selfishly wanted more, Gorogoa is the perfect length for the brief wordless story that it tells. While directing the little boy through doors and locations, helping him opens up the story to discover and interpret for yourself. Are you assisting with misguided intents or working through regretful memories? 

The core Gorogoa is a puzzle game, but the act of playing Gorogoa is a interactive experience that I fear I will have to wait a while before I can get again. Maybe it will spawn a series of Gorogoa-a-likes? Maybe it will stand on its own. A beautiful, wondrous artifact. 


Comments

  1. I LOVE this game - and I agree that it was the perfect length...but I want sequels. Lots of sequels.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment