My Top 5 Games Played in 2017


TOP 5 GAME PLAYED IN 2017


Okay, I have to start this by being completly honest. The best game I played this year was Zelda Breath of the Wild, but that isn't a Steam game and so not applicable to this list. But I thought I would get that out there and off my chest.


This list comes from all the games that I have played from my Steam library in 2017. Some games that I wrote about this year I didn't play this year (those were filler articles to buy time when playing longer games) so they don't count (even though most are top notch games). 


Playing almost 50 games this year put a lot on the table as far as selection goes and while there were a number of less than terrific games, there were also quite a few amazing ones. Picking just five wasn't easy.


(If you click on the name of the game it will take you to the article I wrote for the game.)


5 - Gorogoa


I know I just wrote about this yesterday and the game is barely a week old,  but wow. It is so beautiful and unique that it really has stuck in my mind. I am already contemplating another play through just to take a slower more careful look at the game where I am not so concerned with the puzzles but what else there is to see. Gorogoa is two hours of amazement. 

4 - DOOM


I don't play a lot of first person shooters anymore, a combination of not being into multiplayer as much and most just don't intrest me, but the new DOOM dragged me along for such a wild nostalgic ride that I couldn't ignore it. Everything about it is done so well, the guns feel great, the demons are horrific, the levels look fantastic and traverse wonderfully. And most importantly the game lets you feel like a badass. 

3 - Hob 


This year really highlighted one of my favorite game types, good looking 3D platformers with minimal story and lots of big glowy thing activated by cool puzzles. Hob nailed this perfectly. It was so good to play and look at. I loved the art style of the world and how the character navigated through it. The wordless story linked with great puzzle design made me only want more. It's unfortunate the studio (of Torchlight I & II fame) was closed - hopefully the people behind Hob will be able to create something as good in the future.

2 - Heat Signature


I like Tom Francis and I really liked his first game Gunpoint. I followed the development of Heat Signature and bought it day one and have zero regrets. For a game which basically has you doing  nothing more than sub-5 minute spaceship heists I can't stop playing. With so many combinations of neat equipment, random ship designs and mission objectives its just a never ending flow of dynamic puzzles. Puzzles full of ways to screw up and then the new puzzle becomes "how do I fix this mess I have gotten myself into?". The path of doing heists, getting new gear, over reaching, retiring and then beginning again as a new character as you work your way through liberating the galaxy is fantastic.

1 - NeiR : Automata


If you read my review of NeiR : Automata back in May then you already know how I feel about this game. It's bananas. The best bananas. Not the best combat or graphics or many of the other things that would get it on to a list like this but what it does do is something very rare. It made me think things about what was going on in the game in a way that one rarely does, the story and game progression is as unique as you are going to get. It tickled the part of my brain that I really like being tickled, in a way that that few things can. NeiR : Automata, I played this game twice - almost back to back. That's rare for me. Bananas.

*******
So with that I close out 2017 on A2Steam. I want to thank everyone who has visited and read this blog, 1000+ views on over 67 articles during the course of the first year, I very much appreciate it. Next week returns with a new year and new games. Volume 2 of an A to Z run will come back at some point as well, once I have cleared down my half-finished pile :)

Cheers and Happy New Years!
Chris

Comments