The Norwood Suite - It's My Kinda Weird



THE NORWOOD SUITE

I like weird games and I cannot lie. Another games might deny, but when a game walks in with a...okay that's enough of that. Really though. there is a certain kind of off-beat humor that some game have that I really enjoy and The Norwood Suite has it in spades.


The game invites you to stay at the Norwood Hotel. Come on through those big double doors and check in at the desk. Enjoy your stay, take advantage of the amenities. Explore the hotel and be mistaken for a member of the staff. Wait. What? This is one of the two main plots that drive the player, pretending to be a member of the Norwoods staff and the second, getting into the party in the basement.


The Norwood Suite is mix of old style adventure game and the newer "interactive walking simulator" styles. Wandering through the hotel and checking out all that there is too see is a real treat. You are guided by the requests of the other patrons, but are by no means stuck to a path. Open drawers and doors, read books and notes. Overhear conversations that give you a peak into the many things going on at the old hotel. There are many secrets to be found and stories to be heard. The game is an interactive gallery that rewards you for playing with it.

A lot of the game centers around music and along with that it sports an excellent soundtrack of off kilter jazz and funky melodies. I couldn't help but find myself bobbing my head along to the tunes. I recommend headphones for playing this one, really worth it.


For about the cost of going to a movie The Norwood Suite will have you doing and discovering for about 3 hours. Featuring a cast of characters, a story that zigs when you think it will zag and an art style I will call "eclectic asset flip" (but not in a negative way) there are surprises around every corner. I loved it and am looking forwards to the developers next project.

PS: There is a demo for The Norwood Suite but I actually recommend playing their free game, Off-Peak, instead - all of the feeling of Norwood without any of the spoilers.


Comments