12 Days of Christmas - Day 10 : Dark Souls III


Almost two years ago I wrote a slightly tongue in cheek article about how much I loved the Dark Souls series. Now this year the final DLC for Dark Souls III came out I finally took the plunge....but wait one second!

Stop. Confession time.

Unlike my previous plays in the series I had a realization, I just did not have 100+ hours to sink into Dark Souls III. But I really wanted to see and experience the world of the game. So popped it into offline mode, fired up some cheats and more or less turned Dark Souls III into a walking simulator. And I am not sorry one bit.

Here is the thing, my favorite parts of the series are the environments, the characters/monsters and piecing together the insane story that each game contains that has been broken down into tiny fragments scattered though out. And while I respect the work that goes into the amazing deliberate combat system, loosing swaths time and progress because I didn't hit X in time was something I just didn't miss. Sure I may be missing out on "the real Dark Souls" experience but what I instead did was actually see all the game and all the effort that went into it.

I saw every beautiful landscape, interacted with every bizarre NPC that I could, watch the freakish monsters, took the time to read the lore and explore all the world building that went into Dark Souls III.  All without any stress and in a time frame that fit my lifestyle. I may have not played the true Dark Souls III experience but I got to play a version that in the end I enjoyed far more.




Comments